In front of a sellout crowd at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill , WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko successfully defended his title and continued his reign as the top fighter in all of mixed martial arts.
Emelianenko along with Brett Rogers headlined an all star card at M-1Global/Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers.
After a first round that was much more competitive than many expected. Fedor showed his superior skill and conditioning when he landed a brutal right hand to the Jaw of Rogers sending the 6′4″ 264 lb fighter to the canvas and ending the fight at 1:48 of Round 2.
“First round i was searching for weak points. I saw his footwork wasn’t that good ” Said Emelianenko, “I was waiting to make a strike, I missed at first but the second round I hit him.”
When asked about the first round, a round that saw Fedor cut on the nose and bleeding , the champion had this to say. ” Brett is a serious strong opponent. The first round was just like me and my coaches thought it would be. I didn’t have much trouble when Rogers was in my guard. I saw his punches coming. I wasn’t in trouble during the fight.”
Earlier in the evening, Gegard Mousasi faced off with hard hitting Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. As the first round unfolded, Sokoudjou looked very strong and up for the challenge of facing the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion.
Sokoudjou was able to apply his judo on a few occasions in the opening round, and avoided taking any heavy damage from Mousasi, however as the second round began, the Team Quest fighter would not be as fortunate. Mousasi closed the distance easily and began to land combinations with ease. Authough Sokoudjou worked hard and was able to secure a takedown, Mousasi quickly swept to secure top position and finished the fight with a barrage of punches ending the beating at 3:43 in the second round.
Gegard Mousasi’s winning streak now advances to 14 fights.
Full card Results
• Fedor Emelianenko def. Brett Rogers via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:48
• Jake Shields def. Jason “Mayhem” Miller via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-46, 49-46)
• Gegard Mousasi def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:43
• Fabricio Werdum def. Antonio Silva via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
• Marlos Coenen def. Roxanne Modafferi via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:03
• Jeff Curran def. Dustin Neace via submission (injury) – Round 1, 1:39
• Shamar Bailey def. John Kolosci via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27).
• Nate Moore def. Louis Taylor via submission (strikes) – Round 2, 3:24
• Christian Uflacker def. Jonatas Novaes via unanimous decision (29-26, 30-25, 30-25)